From Cake Lab

Monday, March 22, 2010

Easter Basket Cake

I had been looking to make a holiday cake and was inspired by an Easter basket cake from Pink Cake Box (a New Jersey company that produces some pretty amazing cakes). My cake is nowhere near as impressive as theirs, but I am pretty happy with my end product considering my current level of experience. The most annoying part of making this cake was definitely the grass. It would have been simple if I had the proper icing tip allowing me to use buttercream, but that's one of the disadvantages to living in Montreal...have to get all my cake supplies when I'm visiting the US. So instead of simply piping on the grass, I had to individually mold and place each strand of grass using fondant. Very tedious!


The cake itself contains three 6" layers of marble cake. I used this recipe, and listened to the mixed reviews to make a few alterations. I basically just changed the order of mixing the ingredients and used vegetable oil instead of butter/margarine. This was only my second time making a marble cake from scratch, and I was pretty nervous as my first attempt was terribly dense and dry (something I later learned is a common problem when making white cake from scratch). Fortunately the cake wasn't very dry. I feel like I could find a better recipe, but this one was still pretty good and I wouldn't be surprised if I use it again.
You can view a few more photos of the cake on Flickr here.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!!!!
    Know why you're so pleased with end product. This is what I thought you were going to try and do but you nailed it.
    Can't wait to use this on an Easter related blog...
    You've a good thing going.

    ReplyDelete