From Cake Lab

Monday, May 10, 2010

Chinese Mother's Day Cake

Been back in Maine for about a week now. Between unpacking, settling in, and keeping up on the property (a task that requires hours of daily attention), I haven't had a ton of time to work on cakes. I have, however made some recent purchases that will help take me cakes to new levels. This cake here was the first time I used pre-made fondant. It's more expensive then making it out of marshmallows, but it's really the only way to get the deep red and black colors. Definitely worth the investment in my opinion!

The Chinese symbol on the cake is the character for "Mother". Why a Chinese symbol you ask? Well my Mom is big into the culture (as you can see she even dressed to match the cake!), in part due to our time living in Asia and the online Chinese antique business she owns and operates.
Overall it was a nice simple cake with a chance to use some new colors. Currently working on two more cakes as I write this so it won't be so long till my next update!

No comments:

Post a Comment