From Cake Lab

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Batmobile Cake

Monday night I decided to try a new recipe for a peanut butter cake. There were so many possible cake ideas in my head, but I felt a lot of them would turn out better if I had an airbrush (getting my first in 5 days!!!).
As I was browsing cake photos I saw a thumbnail that made me go "is that the batmobile?". Alas, it was not, but I thought "what a great idea!". Not only do I get to make a superhero cake, but I also get to try making a car for the first time.
This cake is based off the 1989 movie, and thanks to flickr member FLG8R for supplying me with reference pics. There's a lot of details from every angle so the photos were very helpful.
Since there is such a transformation during the process of making a sculpted cake, I decided it would be fun to include some progress photos. Trying my hand at making different types of cakes is a good way for me to be able to estimate how long it will take me to do a cake. Even though the size of this cake wouldn't feed many people, a larger cake really doesn't take much longer because you still have to do just as many details. If anything it might be easier to make a larger version because the pieces aren't so damn tiny.
Overall I'm really happy with this experience. Wish I had done a few things differently but there's always next time! Soon it will be time to prep a couple cakes so they will be ready for finishing touches when I get my airbrush. Can't wait!


2 comments:

  1. AWESOME cake!! The details are amazing and this is such a cool cake! You nailed it completely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there
    Love your batmobile cake. I have to make one for my grandson. Could you please be so kind as to send me step by step pictures znd a lso those from FLG8R. Pretty please. I must de
    Iver on wednesday next week and never done one before.

    Sure do appreciate any andall hrlp.

    Thank you

    Elizabetn

    ReplyDelete